This huge statue with a total height of 53.46 meters (175,5 ft), which stands in the Teutoburg Forest, was built by Ernst von Bandel in 1875 in memory of the Varus Battle. It is intended to commemorate the historic victory of the Cheruscan chief and his army in the battle against the Romans in 9 AD, in which the Germans destroyed three Roman legions (approx. 15,000 men). The battle is significant because it marked the end of the Roman effort to make the areas to the right of the Rhine a province of the Roman Empire. It is the reason why the Limes, the border of the Roman Empire at that time, ran along the Rhine.